How Do I Know a Good Wig?
A good wig sometimes is the last step to looking fabulous and feeling confident about yourself. That said, there are many wigs to choose from and it can be a daunting process. Identifying a high-quality can be quite the challenge if you don’t know exactly what to look for in a good wig.
In this article, we share tried-and-tested tips to help you know a good wig when you see one.
One of the most important considerations when choosing a wig is how perfectly it fits your head and your style. The wrong wig will feel and seem out of place and won’t fit as snugly as a good one.
You can judge all wigs with these criteria:
- How it feels (texture): A good wig will feel lush and smooth, just like healthy hair. On the other hand, a poor wig will feel dry and straw-like.
- Durability: Low-quality wigs are often cheap. To lower the costs of production, cheap materials are used, and they may be both harmful and with a short life span. A high-quality wig will last long if you take good care of it, and as a bonus, it poses no threat to your head health.
- How it stays: Another test for wig quality is how it stays. A poor quality wig lacks top-tier workmanship, meaning it will shed easily, will not fit well, and will have its inner parts sweating. A good wig will be the opposite: it won’t shed and will feel just like your natural hair.
Whether or not you prefer natural or synthetic hair for your wigs, a good wig is always paramount, lest you end up telling tales of discomfort and an itchy scalp. A good wig gives you both a natural look and a comfortable fit.
Having gone through the litmus test for wig qualities, let’s now dive into the qualities of a good wig.
- Well-constructed wig cap. All wigs come attached to a wig cap that should properly fit your skull to guarantee a secure fit. The wig cap should be made with as much attention to detail as possible.
The best quality wig caps are usually hand-made, although they are more expensive than machine-made ones. Hand-crafted wigs appear more realistic and allow for more natural hair movement. The softness and flexibility they offer make them the more wearable option, especially if you have a sensitive scalp.
On the other hand, machine-made wigs come with a thick fabric base with the thickest density of synthetic hair, which is perfect for ladies with thick natural hair.
- Longevity/Durability. A wig’s quality can be measured by its lifespan. Prices and longevity tend to be directly proportional to prices: the more expensive the wig, the longer it lasts.
A good wig should serve you for a year at the very least. With proper care, you will be able to style your wig any way you want and use your preferred hair products with no worries about the wig’s shelf life.
A well-made human-hair wig should last you more than a year, even when worn daily, provided you take good care of it. Without everyday wear, a high-quality wig can last up to three years, which is great value for money.
On the other hand, synthetic wigs last between 4 and 6 months with daily use. Typically, hairstyling involves stressors like heat and chemicals, so you should choose synthetic wigs that can withstand the aforementioned stressors. Styling with heat and chemicals also reduces the durability of synthetic wigs.
- Great comfort. A good wig should fit well and feel natural. The trick to achieving these parameters is breathable fabric to ensure no heat is trapped between the material and your head. This ensures air circulation and reduces the chances of a sweaty, itchy scalp.
- Easy styling. One sure-fire way of identifying a good wig is how easy it is to style. Good quality wigs, especially human-hair wigs, allow more versatility with respect to styling. On top of that, they also allow for easy washing and even hair dye. You should be able to comfortably wash and style the wig as you would your natural hair.
You can also use these extras on synthetic wigs, although it is advisable to avoid heat or dye to avoid damaging the fibre strands. Low-quality wigs tend to be rather rigid in feel and texture, which makes them difficult to style and achieve a natural-look finish.
- Doesn’t look like a wig. A good wig should look like natural hair, and it should be nearly impossible to tell the difference. Top-tier wigs will have a natural shine to them and will fit perfectly on your head.
A good, natural-looking wig is definitely a confidence booster, especially for people reeling from hair loss. It is a great way to help them regain their confidence and kind of help them ‘feel their hair’ again.
Besides looking like natural hair, a good wig should also feel natural. Good quality wigs are light, comfortable, and impossible to tell apart from natural hair.